Bardhaman Junction --- The first passenger train in eastern India ran from Howrah to Hooghly on 15 August 1854. The track was extended to Raniganj via Burdwan by 1855. Electrification of Howrah-Burdwan main line was completed in 1958 & Howrah-Bardhaman chord was electrified between 1964-66. The station serves the adjacent Bardhaman city. It is mainly from this station three lines deviates from each other - one towards Asansol, one line towards Rampurhat (towards north Bengal) & one NG line to Katwa (undergoing gauge-conversion). Though the Asansol & Rampurhat line actually bifurcates after Khana Jn. but one have to change trains in Burdwan station only. The station flaunts a large yard just before the entrance at both sides & some large loop lines in between platforms. It is busy station and good rail-fanning destination. The station have 8 platforms with a stoppage of 185 trains. Bardhaman has a Diesel Locomotive Shed which houses around 30 nos. of WDM2 class locos & variants, 50 nos. WDM3 class & variants & 5 nos. WDS class shunters. Station code - BWN.