150 years of Kanchrapara Railway Workshop --- Kanchrapara workshop came into existence in 1863. This was set up by the then Assam Bengal Railway (later Bengal Assam Railway) and subsequently acquired by Eastern Bengal Railway Company as a combined Loco Carriage and Wagon Shops on the present site of loco shops. On October 12, 1914 C & W Shops were shifted to the present site and started functioning separately as an independent unit. The workshop has the distinction of serving the defence department for repairs to Aircraft and manufacture of armoured cars and grenade shells during world war II. The second 5-year plan brought about drastic changes with Diesel & Electric Traction. Electrification on the Railway system in the eastern region necessitated major repair & overhaul facilities for Electric Loco, EMU Rolling Stock from early 60's. Kanchrapara was selected to play the key role in the both these spheres. In 1962 a decision was taken for remodelling Kanchrapara Workshop in order to make it a base workshop for P.O.H. of Electric Loco & E.M.U. stock of Eastern & South Eastern Railway. Thus on 25th November 2013, IndiaPost issued a stamp with 500p (₹ 5/-) denomination to commemorate the occasion of 150 years of Kanchrapara Railway Workshop.