WAB BDhe4/4 - 108 --- Wengernalpbahn is a 19 km long narrow-gauge rack railway line in Switzerland. It runs from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald via Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg, making it the longest & continuous rack and pinion railway of the world. The railway rolled its wheeled for the first time with steam locomotives in 1891 and full length line completed by 1893. The electrification of the line between Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg was completed on June 1909 using 1500V DC. The section between Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg followed on June 1910. Steam operation ceased in 1912. In 1913, winter operations commenced between Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg and the year round operation started by 1925 itself. Though the section between Kleine Scheidegg & Grindelwald witnessed commencement of year round operation only in 1960.
Most passenger trains are made up of railcars in WAB, the powered cars being positioned at the lower end of the train for safety purpose. In this photo, a 1954 built BDhe4/4 class railcar - 108 along with its trailer car Bt-272 was gearing up to start a downhill journey to Lauterbrunnen from Kleine Scheidegg. Photographed by Bani Das on 14th May 2015.